Sunday, September 2, 2012

Do All That You Can


Today, I did all that I could to further my career. Seriously. It's not often that I can say that, but I must admit something. Realizing that I have 30 days until this portfolio is due puts an immense amount of pressure on me. But this is a good thing. I sometimes wish that I could always have this kind of drive - to push myself to the limit until there's nothing else to do.

For the longest time, I would paint and wait for something to be auctioned off, sold, or contracted out. I'd go advertise, but there was no real drive to push myself because I didn't see everything paying off. But when I wake now, there's an insane amount of drive that wakes me up and compels me to go into my studio, turn on the light, and stare at the image forming on the canvas. Even if the canvas is blank, in my mind, it already exists. It's just a matter of moving and turning the paint to form a reality of what's already within. It's my duty to create, and if I fail to do so, I fail my family, myself, and my future generations. It's my duty to do all that I can to make something happen every day, every minute, every second ... it all counts. I have a finite amount of time on this earth, and if I don't do all that I can to create the next greatest painting, then I haven't done justice to my career. I know that each painting isn't guaranteed to be a masterpiece, but I try with each painting. 

Today, I worked on the canvases (yes, there was more than one) until I could do nothing else. The intense aroma of "odorless" paint thinner not only permeated the room, it also saturated my hands and clothing. It was a good day. And so I ask you the same question I ask myself every day, "did you do all that you could today?" Did you put everything into bettering yourself? Your career? Your family? If not, why not? Was Facebook all that important? What about youtube? Message boards, etc.? What stood in your way, and why? Are those things so important that your career can wait another day? How you start your day is how you live your day, and how you live your day is how you live your life. One day turns into two, and two into four, and four into eight, and so on and so forth. It's okay to put things off today, and then put them off tomorrow, and then the day after that, and when you're in your 50s and 60s, I wonder if those things will really mean as much then as they do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment