Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Harriet Tubman Slave Trail Study












While getting ready to paint this masterpiece of Harriet Tubman, I headed over to the Richmond Slave Trails just before you pass over the James River Bridge. Although Harriet Tubman stayed primarily in Maryland during her rescue operations, I didn't have the luxury of going back and forth to those locations that she traveled. Walking along the trail, I needed to make sure most of my reference pics were in the winter, as this was the timeframe she generally traveled. I have a ton of reference photos, but these are just some of the ones I took while out there. It's a very somber feeling, knowing that humans that were seen as cattle, were forced to walk these trails, waiting to be sold. While most of the pics I took were during the day, this painting will be a nighttime painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment