Friday, January 18, 2019

Harriet Tubman - Canvas Size

While working on the studies - composition, colors, lighting, references, I knew I wanted this to be on a big canvas. I was torn between these two canvases but ultimately went with the one on the right for several reasons. 1. The canvas on the left is thinner and the one on the right is higher quality. 2. The one on the right has more of a 'landscape' feel to it. This is not to suggest that the one on the left doesn't have a landscape quality to it, but the one on the right just 'felt' right, and 3. most of the shows I plan to enter this year won't accept canvases over 48" in any direction and that one lengthwise is exactly 48". What good is doing a masterpiece if you're unable to display it? Anyway, while doing my studies, I went ahead with purchasing the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment