Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Harriet Tubman References






In creating each painting that I do, there's nothing like reference material - whether I pay a model to pose for something, or a sunset over my neighbor's house, every little bit counts. I think artists have become too heavily reliant on source material online (nothing wrong with that), but nothing beats your own material. Sticks and twigs are great for understanding how light works on the natural wood, as well as how they're shaped. One twig can be turned multiple ways to give an effect of a variety of trees. Yes, as small as it may seem, this all goes into a painting. The little canvas is a study of the movement of the limbs, and base colors. I go through a ton of those tiny study canvases. "What do I get you for Christmas, John?" Cotton socks and small study canvases, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment