Sunday, October 3, 2021

Richmond On A Clear Blue Day - Initial Detailing



 When I begin to detail almost any painting, I start with the areas furthest from me and move forward. The reason is because the further an image is from us the less detail it appears to have. Knowing how much detail is in a building, tree, or other object that is behind other objects, helps me keep in mind how much detail to put in objects closest to me. 

You start with minimal detail, take a step back, see how it looks from a distance, and then continue moving forward. In this photo, I've painted in the detail in most of the furthest buildings, and am now beginning the shading, windows, and overall structures of the foreground buildings. It's tedious work (the part that I hate) and I found that if I take the color I'm working with and put it on a palette knife, I can pull paint from the knife, instead of constantly putting my brush into the palette. I hate having to look at the canvas for a second, then down at the palette and then back at the canvas to allow my eyes to refocus for a few seconds. With the paint on the palette knife, I don't have to take my eyes of the canvas for an extended period of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment