Thursday, November 28, 2013

Imagine there's a person who you do absolutely everything in the world for. I mean ... everything. If they need help with bills, food, clothes, etc., you're that guy they turn to; but in the end, they use every excuse in the world not to be with you. At what point do you finally turn and walk away? This individual who may think there's some good in you, only has you around to use you, nothing more.

Somebody once said, "There comes a point when you have to realize that you'll never be good enough for some people. The question is, is that your problem, or theirs?"

This statement is something that, as an artist, I've come to realize in both my personal and professional life. If I were to jump through hoops to devote my time, energy, and emotions to someone who, no matter what, refuses to accept me into their life, is it my problem or theirs? For me to find the answers, I have to do a real, thorough, unbiased self eval. I have to stare at myself in the mirror and wonder if what I'm doing is the right thing for me.

I only bring this up because of a recent professional incident with my art. Every artist ... I repeat, EVERY artist desires acceptance. It's why we create. It's why we do what we do. We put a drawing, painting, or digital art piece on canvas for a reason - we want people to like/enjoy it. Art is a struggle. It's almost a cutthroat business, and unless the passion to create is there, it's a hobby ... nothing more.

Very recently, I did some work for a clothing company out of Texas. I helped structure their logo, clothing designs, etc. The concept was to do the work and as the business took off, more work and employment opportunities would come my way. For the record, I absolutely LOVE freelance work. It's a great way to turn a fast buck and add to your portfolio. But every so often, an individual comes along and will use you to their advantage. This generally happens early in an artist's career, but less and less as he or she progresses. None of the work I did was ever good enough for their production, and yet, I kept getting asked for more work, only to be told that it was rejected. I found out not too long ago that the work I'd completed was being turned over to another designer on their staff who would change enough of the image to make it different specifically for their brand. I realize now that nothing I will ever do for that company will be good enough. The question remains - is that my problem or theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment