Sunday, March 28, 2021

 I swear to goddess, snapchat filters are the bane of my existence when it comes to portraiture. It's not cute, it's not attractive...it's fake and somewhat narcissistic in my opinion. What's worse is if a person is over 21 with Snapchat, passing off over-filtered, fake photos as though it's really them; it's kind of sad and shows a lack of self esteem. Slap on that shitty ass duckface for extra-tacky bonus points. I mean, it's cute if you're doing it for fun, and I'm sure a lot of people are. But I cannot count how many Snapchat photos I get sent to draw or paint. Prior to everyone's favorite cheating app, there are a small handful of portraits that I completed, where the client wasn't pleased with their portrait. Over the last year however, I have received a minimum of 2 portrait requests a month where it's clear a filter has been used. The face looks flat, unrealistic, and unappealing. And in this timeframe, I have received more negative feedback from my portraits than the previous 14 years combined. After one lady complained, I took her photo and used a projector and traced the photo directly onto the canvas and still, she was not happy. She said it looked nothing like her, even though it was identical to the over-filtered photo. Of course it didn't look like her...it wasn't her, it was what she wanted to look like. Ugh...okay...rant over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment