Saturday, June 20, 2020

Maria & Ronnie









Maria & Ronnie
11x14
Graphite

This portrait commission is particularly special to me because of the story behind the two. I grew up in a cult, and about the age of 8 or 9, the Rider Family began coming to church with us. They had 2 sons and 2 daughters. I was friends with their oldest son, Jerry who was around the same age as me. Unfortunately, Jerry drowned when we were both 14 in the same lake that my brother would drown in a few years later. After I left the cult, I lost touch with everyone, but a few years ago, Stacy, Maria's daughter got in contact with me through Facebook. Then, I was able to reconnect with her mom and dad, and sister. In 2015, I got a phone call from my mom that Ronnie, Maria's son, was involved in a serious motorcycle accident. Unfortunately, he will most likely never regain consciousness. While I was honored to be able to draw this portrait for Maria, it was also a sorrowful experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment