Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Failed Graphite Portrait Commission



This is the kind of portrait that I will never include in a portfolio, but I want to post it here. Early on - maybe 5 years ago, a customer requested I draw a portrait of his aunt. After complaining over and over about the price, I finally gave in and lowballed the price. At the time, I was charging $300 a portrait, but I completely sold out, and charged him $50 for this. After I finished the portrait, I couldn't get in contact with him. Come to find out, he'd moved. I finally tracked him down and he said, "Oh, I don't want the portrait anymore. You can just mail the photograph of my aunt to my girlfriend's house."

Huge lesson learned. This is why I don't compromise on my prices, and why I always take a deposit. People tend to pay when they put down a nonrefundable deposit. I've also kept the horrendous watermark across her face, just in case he ever comes across my page, decides he wants it, and tries to print it out. The original posting of this portrait was posted on this blog in November of 2009. I was recently asked about this portrait, and thought I'd repost it and tell the story behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment