Saturday, October 15, 2011

'I Have A Dream' - The Price of Equality



Here is an incomplete drawing I'm working on. It's called, 'I Have A Dream' - The Price of Equality. It's a charcoal drawing on 18x24 charcoal paper of the scene from the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He was killed at that Lorraine Motel in Tennessee, where the National Civil Rights Museum is presently located. What is intriguing about this photo is that one of the men - I'm not sure which one off hand, and I'll explain that in a later posting, is Marrell McCollough, an undercover Memphis police officer. Anyway, when I get finished, this will be a recreation of that photo. I will not be using any creative liberties, I will be doing the most uninspired thing of all, I'll just be copying a photo. The photograph, from the best of my understanding, is copyrighted. This is not an attempt to violate any copyright laws either. This piece is intriguing to me because this was the price of equality. Dr. King had to be assassinated just because of his desire for equality. What a dream!!! I've always been touched by this man's life, and it's a shame that he had to go in the manner he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment