Tuesday, November 10, 2009

From Joe, with Love






This is a drawing I did for a class project at the Academy of Art University. We were required to complete a still life and instead of doing the usual - bowl of fruit, bottle of wine, blah, blah, blah, - I decided to do something slightly different. Coffee is one of my best friends, or rather, caffeine is one of my best friends. We have a very long and loving relationship, and I felt I should try and capture him in all his glory. This pot and his siblings pictured here, I see every day. I took the time to set the scene and because my coffee cup is damaged, I felt the need to capture that broken handle as well. I'm just learning charcoal right now, and this was definitely a challenge. Charcoal as a medium, is not very forgiving, especially when you color in an area that should be white. Your fingers and hands can easily become black, and clothing, well, ... ruined. I really had a good time capturing Joe here, and I plan to frame this one when I get home from Iraq and put it on my wall. Unless of course, you're a good friend of Joe and want to display him in your home. Write me, make me an offer, and we'll talk. The drawing is 18x24 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment